Tuesday, October 18, 2022

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.]

Ephesians 2

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.] Ephesians 2:4-5

I continue my pause of a deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series, to study Ephesians for 3 days per week as I participate in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. This morning, my focus stays on Ephesians 2 as I deepen my understanding of this text. The resources for this morning include videos from DesiringGod.com where John Piper breaks down Ephesians 2.  The first video, describes the "dreadful" spiritual condition in which we all found each other - Jews, Gentiles, and all of humanity - fallen, dead in our sins, and heading towards damnation...before our conversion and salvation.  This video is part of a ten-part series on Ephesians 2.  In the first video, Piper seeks to have believers understand the big picture of v1-11, and he uses the subsequent videos to deconstruct the parts that make-up the whole (big picture) so that we see both the big picture and how the details support the whole.  Core to the big picture is God's grace (v5, 8), how we are to be humble in light of this grace (v9), and the grace working in us is designed to bring glory to Him to show the world (v7, 10). The second video focuses on Ephesians 2:1-3 and how we should recognize the importance of the "union" and "commonality" of how ALL of humanity (Jews, Gentiles, all nations, etc.) was dead in our sins prior to Christ but are now redeemed and a new creation in Christ. Piper describes that the implications of this union and commonality include how this should drive unity in how we relate to others, with examples such as how we share the gospel to all nations, and how we come together as a global church. W hat's interesting is how our world focuses on diversity and how we should embrace our differences.  The problem with this approach is that it assumes to a large extent that a focus on diversity in and of itself will drive unity.  Here, in Ephesians 2, we have a prescription on HOW unity allows us to embrace diversity.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are an awesome God who loves me and who poured out amazing grace for me - giving me new life, now and forevermore.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace...my sin is great and it continues...including focus on worldly comforts and pleasures.  Please forgive me Jesus for my love of the world!  Help me overcome and turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.