Monday, November 7, 2022

“Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

Ephesians 5

“Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Ephesians 5:14, Isaiah 52:1-2

I continue my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I stay in Ephesians 5, examining v1-14 in more detail. Leaning on DesiringGod.com videos on Ephesians 5:8-14 (which also covers to a certain extent v3-7) Part I and II, which also calls out Ephesians 2:1-6, I see how God changes our (believers) nature from being (not just doing) darkness to being light (Ephesians 5:8).  In other words, we were dead in our sin (Ephesians 2:1) and God raised us up from the dead (Ephesians 2:6).  Of course, because we are in the light we are able to not just better able to battle and defeat sin (by not becoming partners with the sons of disobedience (v7), but we are able to help others do the same - and this is the claim made in v14 where we can be a light to others and draw them out of the darkness as well (submitting to an all sovereign God and Holy Spirit that is doing all of this). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who is light, who creates light in me and who is able to do this for all You choose to become one of Your elect - thank You for the gift of light!  I am not deserving of such a blessing. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.