Sunday, November 20, 2022

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Hebrews 4

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which focuses on how, for believers, death is gain.  Here, John Piper provides five reasons from scripture that support his claim:

  1. Our spirits will be made perfect (Hebrews 12:22-23)
  2. We will be relieved of the pain of this world (Luke 16:24-25)
  3. We will be given profound rest in our souls (Revelation 6:9-11)
  4. We will experience a deep at-homeness (2 Corinthians 5:8)
  5. We will be with Christ (Philippians 1:21-23)

I have a niece - Marit, who is going to be 15 years old in a few days - and she is dying of brain of cancer. My wife and I pray constantly for a miracle of healing - we don't want Marit to die, nor do we want her to suffer or be in pain.  I struggle with this and in my struggle I selfishly believed that my words could bring Marit comfort as I talked to her on the phone a few days ago (not knowing whether it would be the last time I talked to her).  Since then, upon reflection, I sense that Marit is better served by us simply spending time with her, and it will be through these final moments where the Holy Spirit will be working to comfort her.  If we are at peace about where Marit is going, the Holy Spirit will do the rest - to comfort Marit in ways that we, through actions or words, cannot. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who comforts like no other - thank You for the peace and comfort You provide by giving us a glimpse of Heaven and telling us that You are saving us a place in Heaven.  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.