Wednesday, November 23, 2022

For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself, saying, “Surely I will bless you and multiply you.”

Hebrews 6

For when God made a promise to Abraham, since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself, saying, “Surely I will bless you and multiply you.” Hebrews 6:13-14

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which highlights Hebrews 6:13-14, where the author of Hebrews uses the Abrahamic Covenant (see Genesis 12) to establish the certainty of God's promise(s). In today's Solid Joys daily devotion, John Piper unpacks the language used by the author of Hebrews to not only underscore the certainty of God's promise(s), but more importantly (as a foundation), to establish God as "the greatest value in the universe."  Piper states: "when God takes an oath, he swears by himself. If he could have gone higher, he would have gone higher. Why? To give you strong encouragement in your hope. What God is saying in swearing by himself is that it is as impossible that he will break his word of promise to bless us as it is that he will ever despise himself. God is the greatest value in the universe. There is nothing more valuable or wonderful than God. So, God swears by God. And in doing that he says, “I mean for you to have as much confidence in me as it is possible to have.” For if more were possible, Hebrews 6:13 says, he would have given us that. “Since he had no one greater by whom to swear, he swore by himself.” Now this is our God, the God who is reaching as high as he can reach to inspire your unshakable hope in him."  Believers - be encouraged!  Non-believers - place your hope in Jesus!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God in whose promises we can rest as You are faithful!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.