Monday, November 28, 2022

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Romans 1

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Romans 1:21

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where, in contrast to posts over the past few days that focus on gratitude, John Piper looks at why someone might not have gratitude towards God.  He writes: "[W]hen gratitude does not spring up in our hearts at God’s great goodness to us, it probably means that we don’t want to pay him a compliment; we don’t want to magnify him as our benefactor. And there is a very good reason that human beings by nature do not want to magnify God with thanksgiving or glorify him as their benefactor. The reason is that it detracts from our own glory, and all people by nature love their own glory more than the glory of God." In other words, unbelievers value self-sufficiency and self-glory over that of God.  Of course, believers know they need a Savior and Jesus Christ is that Savior. Piper points us to Mark 2:17 Jesus emphasizes how He says "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - giving me my salvation, Your Word, the Holy Spirit, and SO much more - all out of grace as I am undeserving.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I know I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.