Tuesday, November 22, 2022

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:14

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which is entitled The Key to Spiritual Maturity.  Here John Piper unpacks an essential realization all believers must have, and it is important, according to Piper, so that we might "save...years of wasted living."  He points to "[g]etting ready to feast on all God’s word" as primarily (and first) a "moral challenge" vs an intellectual one.  He then challenges believers who spend time on worldly (and sinful) pursuits vs leaning into God, exhorting believers to pursue God instead and allowing Him to work the sanctification process through renewal of the mind (Romans 12:2). Piper then lays out how we achieve spiritual maturity.  We must taste God, know that He is Truth and Light, and that He is Our Savior.  We then seek to please God in response to His grace - our desire to become obedient and to glorify Him is key.  The devotion is summed up nicely in this key statement from Piper: "[t]he pathway to maturity and to solid biblical food is not first becoming an intelligent person, but becoming an obedient person."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You are SO good for how You made me one of Your elect and You then drove sanctification in my life - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to and apply Your message for me today and every day.