Thursday, November 17, 2022

[P]ut on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Ephesians 4

[P]ut on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:24

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which proclaims - via its title, that "Change is Possible."  Using Ephesians 4:24 as the basis, and the entirety of scripture ultimately, for the devotion, the devotion boldly claims that "[d]eep, fundamental change" is possible. I know from personal experience that this is a true statement and I would argue that change is not just possible, but a guarantee because this is the very nature of sanctification, the process where God molds us into more of His image as we get to know Him more intimately through Bible study, prayer, fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ and other spiritual disciplines. Today's devotion goes on to state that: "[i]t is possible to become tenderhearted when once you were callous and insensitive. It is possible to stop being dominated by bitterness and anger. It is possible to become a loving person, no matter what your background has been. The Bible assumes that God is the decisive factor in making us what we should be." This is of course a huge encouragement for anyone seeking growth and change and who might be frustrated by sin and destructive habits, inclinations or patterns of life, etc. I encourage everyone to read the Bible with "a hunger and thirst for righteousness" as the Bible says this will produce blessings and satisfaction (Matthew 5:6).  See also resources from Renovare.org - which focus on spiritual transformation.  Among the many spiritual disciplines in which we can engage, scripture memorization is seen as key - see this post from Renovare on the power of scripture memorization on driving change. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome who has produced both blessings and satisfaction in my life - Your Word is Truth! Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings and satisfaction.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.