Wednesday, November 2, 2022

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:6-7

I continue my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I continue with Ephesians 4, focusing on v25-32. My study of Ephesians 4 over the past few days include posts on church unity, the importance of small group life as a part of our church experience, and how we are encouraged to lean into the sanctification process and our new creation lives (as believers).  The chapter closes in these verses where Paul urges believers (via the church in Ephesus) to avoid the sins that bring discord within the church and distract the church from its mission. In v25, Paul reminds believers that we are of one body - the church - returning to a theme expressed in v1-16.  Paul contrasts sin we should avoid with Godly behavior we should demonstrate, including "speaking truth with [our] neighbors...doing honest work with [our] hands...shar[ing] with anyone in need...building up...[and] giv[ing] grace to those who hear...be[ing] kind to one another, tenderhearted forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave [us]." Again, broadly these verses connect with themes previously expressed in other parts of Ephesians 4, including putting off the old self and putting on the new life we have in Christ.  John Piper's lab video here helps break this down and also helps us understand the motives (Christian ethics based not on the law but in Christ as expressed in v30 and 32) God is seeking in us to put on the new life in Christ.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You gave me Yourself and the Holy Spirit, and in so doing I have forgiveness, eternal life, and an abundant life now to endure and find joy through all of what a broken and sin-filled world brings.  I am not deserving of these blessings as I know I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.