Sunday, November 27, 2022

I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.

Psalm 69

I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 69:30

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper uses David's words from Psalm 69 to urge us to magnify God.  Piper first draws a distinction between two types of magnification: one where you make a small thing look bigger, and the other where we make a a big thing begin to look as big as it really is.  He writes how the latter is David's intention.  He then urges all believers to magnify God in the same way: "Christians are not called to be con-men who magnify their product out of all proportion to reality, when they know the competitor’s product is far superior. There is nothing and nobody superior to God. And so the calling of those who love God is to make his greatness begin to look as great as it really is." Piper reminds us that we exist for this very purpose, and why we were saved, "to proclaim God's excellencies" (see 1 Peter 2:9). Piper wraps up today's devotion with a response - we must first see God for who He is, to get to know Him, and to do so daily, lest we forget.  He offers two texts to emphasize this response: Ephesians 1:18 (open the eyes of my heart), and Psalm 103:2 (soul, forget not all the benefits).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You are worthy of magnification - I desire to proclaim Your excellencies because You are infinitely valuable - more so than anything else.  I am not deserving of how You made me one of Your own - Your elect.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.