Thursday, November 3, 2022

He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward.

Hebrews 11

[Moses] considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. Hebrews 11:26

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which broadly examines Hebrews 11, specifically zeroing in on Moses in this chapter that is often referred to as the "Hall of Faith."  Here, John Piper highlights how Moses left his comfortable life in Pharaoh's family when he had compassion on the Jews working as slaves in Egypt (see Exodus 2).  Moses, led by the Holy Spirit - which we know existed since the beginning of time (God as Alpha and Omega) - saw how his suffering, which preceded Christ's suffering, would bring him an eternal reward. Piper wants us to ponder this in the context of our own suffering.  Piper writes: "[w]e do not choose suffering simply because we are told to, but because the One who tells us to describes it as the path to everlasting joy. He beckons us into the obedience of suffering not to demonstrate the strength of our devotion to duty, or to reveal the vigor of our moral resolve, or to prove the heights of our tolerance for pain, but rather to manifest, in childlike faith, the infinite preciousness of his all-satisfying promises — the all-satisfying greatness and beauty of his own glory as the fulfillment of all of them." God promises are amazing and of course He is faithful and we can count on Him to deliver on all of His promises.  Be encouraged!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives me the Holy Spirit so that I could have Christ in my heart - thank You Jesus!  Thank You for leading me and guiding me...daily.  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.