Thursday, November 10, 2022

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Psalm 56

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which, like last Friday, examines anxiety. In this devotion, John Piper starts where last Friday left off, stating "[o]ne possible response to the truth that our anxiety is rooted in unbelief goes like this: "I have to deal with feelings of anxiety almost every day; and so I feel like my faith in God’s grace must be totally inadequate. So I wonder if I can have any assurance of being saved at all."' His response to this question offers encouragement to those of us who struggle with anxiety; I know I do - God has helped me in this area greatly but there is room to mature in this area. Piper goes on to share that "[w]hen anxiety strikes and blurs our vision of God’s glory and the greatness of the future that he plans for us, this does not mean that we are faithless, or that we will not make it to heaven. It means our faith is being attacked. At first blow, our belief in God’s promises may sputter and swerve. But whether we stay on track and make it to the finish line depends on whether, by grace, we set in motion a process of resistance — whether we fight back against the unbelief of anxiety."  He refers us to Psalm 56 (and elsewhere in scripture where the same message of encouragement is offered), then wraps up the devotion by referring back to Psalm 56:3 saying "[n]otice: it does not say, “I never struggle with fear.” Fear strikes, and the battle begins. So the Bible does not assume that true believers will have no anxieties. Instead, the Bible tells us how to fight when they strike." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good, good God who never leaves or forsakes me, who always hears my cries, and helps me see the joy and blessing in all circumstances.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me for my lack of patience, and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.