Saturday, November 19, 2022

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Hebrews 4

 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which offers encouragement, particularly to those currently struggling in times of trial and challenge.  John Piper starts the devotion by stating what we might consider to be obvious, that we all have needs and need help.  Yet he makes this assertion to make two other broader points: one, that because we all sin (Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:8), we don't deserve help (Romans 6:23); two, we are faced with a choice to go it alone, which is futile; or, we can lean on God who offers grace in our time of need. Piper sums it up this way: "[y]es, we all need help. Yes, none of us deserves the help we need. But no to despair and pride and lechery. Look at what God says. Because we have a Great High Priest, the throne of God is a throne of grace. And the help we get at that throne of grace is mercy and grace to help in time of need. Grace to help! Not deserved help — gracious help. That’s why the High Priest, Jesus Christ, shed his own blood. You are not trapped. Say no to that lie. We need help. We don’t deserve it. But we can have it. You can have it right now and forever. If you will receive and trust in your High Priest, Jesus the Son of God, and draw near to God through him."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who offers grace to me in my time of need - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.