Saturday, November 5, 2022

But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”

Ephesians 5

But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Ephesians 5:13-14

I continue my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I move on to Ephesians 5, focusing on initial observations for the chapter as a whole. At the start of this chapter, we see how Paul continues the theme of unity within the church by saying "therefore" (v1).  V1-2 states that our unity should then cause us to be "imitators of God, as beloved children....[a]nd [we should] walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."  We are then warned of sin spreading within the church and encouraged to be thankful (v4). We are to avoid partnerships with "the sons of disobedience" (v7) and instead to not just walk in love but also to walk in light as we are a light (Holy Spirit within us) (v8-9).  If we walk in love and light we stand in contrast to the sin of the world and therefore expose sin and draw others to the light as light leads us where we should go and helps us avoid darkness (v8-14).  V15-20 focus on Paul urging us to make best use of our time (v16), avoid sinful traps, and to fill ourselves with the Holy Spirit - and Paul gives us more details of how we do this.  The remainder of the chapter - v22-33 - focuses on Godly instructions for wives and husbands.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: What an awesome God You are that You are light and that You guide my path and help me avoid darkness - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.