Tuesday, November 8, 2022

[Give] thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5

[Give] thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:20

I continue my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I stay in Ephesians 5, examining v15-21 in more detail. In relation to v14, v15 pivots from an exhortation to make full use of how we are (vs just doing) light (vs darkness), to - in light of being a light and the responsibility it is - be on on guard for Satan and how evil influences pervade our world (v16b). We are to be wise and careful (v15), to make the best use of our time, (v16a), to not be foolish (v17a), and to understand what the will of the Lord is (v17b).  We are urged to be filled with the Spirit (v18b), and to address one another (within the church) as members of the church all worshiping/revering God, submitting to one another (serving), and praising and giving thanks to God what who He is and what He has done.  This DesiringGod.com video describes pairs of negatives/positives in v15-18, and what the implications are for being filled with the Holy Spirit (v19, 21).  It zooms in on v20, which, if read and more fully understood, says give thanks "for everything," and in the video John Piper points out how this means the good and the bad, enabling (if filled with the Holy Spirit) us to not just understand the will of the Lord is but also to follow/submit to it.  Piper then ends the video by emphasizing how such gratitude becomes the "root" (see also Ephesians 5:4) of obedience to Christ. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome incredible God who helps me see good in all times, in all circumstances - thank You Jesus!  You are worthy of my praise and worship and I know that is why I exist.  I know I am not deserving of my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Please provide energy and wisdom to Lisa and myself. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.