Sunday, November 6, 2022

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.

Ephesians 5

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. Ephesians 5:31-32

I continue my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I stay in Ephesians 5, examining v22-33 because its message focuses on marriage - a distinct topic from yesterday which was directed more broadly to the church. This text is often controversial as it describes the role of husbands and wives inside the context of a Godly marriage. I subscribe to John's Piper's complementarian view of men and women that each are uniquely different by God's design and scripture provides clarity on roles for men and women both in the context of the church and marriage.  The linked post does a great job delving into this question so I am not going to call out anything specific in the post but simply to refer to it as an encouragement to read it for a complete view on the subject. Go to the section where he lays out four observations from Ephesians 5:22-33. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me Lisa - my wife - and Zach and Dustin.  Thank You Jesus!  Incredible blessings.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.