Friday, November 25, 2022

For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

2 Corinthians 4

For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. 2 Corinthians 4:15

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, where John Piper discusses how a life of humility and gratitude glorifies God.  Piper starts by positing that when we express our gratitude to God, we are the beneficiaries - we receive grace (and other blessings) and we in turn we are thankful. Piper then states that a posture of humble gratitude leads us to "acknowledge our need and God’s beneficence," glorifying the giver (God).  This is the key, according to Piper, as he uses Paul's words to the Corinthians to stake his claim: "this is Paul’s final goal in all his labors. Yes, his labors are for the sake of the church — the good of the church. But the church is not the highest goal....God’s all-supplying glory in giving and our humble gladness in receiving are not in competition. Joyful thankfulness glorifies God." So, believers, we should - not just on Thanksgiving (yesterday) - daily be joyfully thankful for God's grace and blessings.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and worthy of my gratitude - daily!  You died for me and You never leave or forsake me and Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues....daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.