Saturday, October 28, 2017

So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive.

2 Samuel 1

So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive. v10

In 1 Samuel 31, we learn that Saul takes his own life as he was mortally wounded but alive enough to know that should he be captured he would be abused and/or tortured.  Yet the Amalekite who reported the news of Saul and Jonathan's death to David lied to David that he killed Saul when he did not.  

I can only speculate why this man would lie to David, perhaps it was bragging - who knows.  Yet the simple truth is that he lied and he should not have.  For this lie, he ends being killed by David:

David asked him, “Why weren’t you afraid to lift your hand to destroy the Lord’s anointed?”
Then David called one of his men and said, “Go, strike him down!” So he struck him down, and he died. For David had said to him, “Your blood be on your own head. Your own mouth testified against you when you said, ‘I killed the Lord’s anointed.’” v14-16

The lesson for us is that people lie for all kinds of reasons - to hide things, to think they are making people feel better, to brag, etc.  Yet even innocent lies - and I've done them myself - are sinful.  I tell my son Zach that if you can lie about the small things you can lie about the big things - you become comfortable with a life of sin.  We should be uncomfortable with a life of sin because "the wages of sin are death (Romans 3:23)", and our discomfort should drive us into the arms of our Savior Jesus who came to rescue us from our sin and to provide us eternal life in Heaven with Him. 

See also this post from a few days ago.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has transformed my heart and life and protected me from great harm - including harm done by myself due to sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I am selfish and I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.