Friday, October 27, 2017

David replied, “No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the Lord has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us. Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.” David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this.

1 Samuel 30

David replied, “No, my brothers, you must not do that with what the Lord has given us. He has protected us and delivered into our hands the raiding party that came against us. Who will listen to what you say? The share of the man who stayed with the supplies is to be the same as that of him who went down to the battle. All will share alike.” David made this a statute and ordinance for Israel from that day to this. v23-35

Greed and selfishness drive much of what all of us do.  In this case some of David's men felt that not everyone deserved a share of David's plunder:


But all the evil men and troublemakers among David’s followers said, “Because they did not go out with us, we will not share with them the plunder we recovered.” v22

Yet David - as a man after God's heart - steps in and provides not only for those that stayed behind to watch supplies but also to other parts of Israel - see v23-31.

God wants those of us in the church to not just care for each other in the church but also for those outside the church who are in need.

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.” Matthew 10:42
There are many people in need in our community and in the world and John challenges us to meet people where they are - to help.  Not just in prayer or words but in action - to give.
 
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.  If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:16-18


Good will come to those who are generous and lend freely, who conduct their affairs with justice. Psalm 112:5


Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. Matthew 5:42
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 
One person gives freely, yet gains even more;
    another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

A generous person will prosper;
    whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. Proverbs 11:24-25
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lordand he will reward them for what they have done. Proverbs 19:17
The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern                  Proverbs 29:7 


My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who gave everything away so that I could be rescued from sin and have eternal life.  Thank You Jesus. I am not worth such love as I am often selfish.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.