Monday, October 2, 2017

In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit.

Judges 17

In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit. v6

We should be thankful that we have a king - and He is the King of Kings - Jesus Christ!

When we do as we please we falsely believe that we have freedom.  Yet we worship false Gods and we are slaves to our sin. Only Jesus Christ promises true freedom - freedom from the sting of sin and death. 

They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” 2 Peter 2:19 

But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Romans 6:17-18 

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:56-57 

In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. v4-5 

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Corinthians 3:17

  Lord Jesus - help me live with the full understanding and power of the freedom I have - freedom from the sting of sin and death, and freedom to be who You intend for me.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who provides true freedom - You died for me so that I could be free.  Free from the sting of sin and death. Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I am weak - I worry.  I am harsh with my words and actions. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of cancer. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.