Sunday, October 29, 2017

Then the king said to his men, “Do you not realize that a commander and a great man has fallen in Israel this day? And today, though I am the anointed king, I am weak, and these sons of Zeruiah are too strong for me. May the Lord repay the evildoer according to his evil deeds!”

2 Samuel 3

Then the king said to his men, “Do you not realize that a commander and a great man has fallen in Israel this day? And today, though I am the anointed king, I am weak, and these sons of Zeruiah are too strong for me. May the Lord repay the evildoer according to his evil deeds!” v38-39

After Saul dies, the commander of Saul's army, Abner - initiates a power struggle with David to determine who should rule over both Israel and Judah.  However, ultimately Abner determines that he should not fight the Lord's anointed.

May God deal with Abner, be it ever so severely, if I do not do for David what the Lord promised him on oath and transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and establish David’s throne over Israel and Judah from Dan to Beersheba.” v9-10

David and Abner strike an agreement to peaceably transfer power of Israel from Saul's house (Abner) to David.  Abner then leaves David in peace.

Joab - who was not present to the agreement - feels that Abner is an enemy and he cannot be trusted so he - on his own accord - makes the decision to kill Abner.  David makes his displeasure known.  

For us, a key lesson here is to avoid our impulsive nature and to seek the Lord's guidance - explicitly with regard to significant actions and decisions that will have lasting consequences.  

Contrast this with David's repeated inquiries of the Lord with another one in 2 Samuel 2:

In the course of time, David inquired of the Lord. “Shall I go up to one of the towns of Judah?” he asked.

The Lord said, “Go up.”

David asked, “Where shall I go?”

“To Hebron,” the Lord answered. v1

My sense is that we should be in a daily relationship with Jesus so that in the little things we know what to do (see also Romans 12:2) and go to Him explicitly with the bigger things.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are!  You are Truth and I am lost without You.  Thank You for your guidance.  I am not worth such love.  I often neglect my relationship with You. Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.