Thursday, October 19, 2017

“Whose son are you, young man?” Saul asked him.

1 Samuel 17

“Whose son are you, young man?” Saul asked him. v58

What I noticed this morning is how all of David's brothers and Saul himself failed to accept and acknowledge the anointing of David as Saul's successor, anointed by God Himself, and to accept David as someone with God's spirit.

In 1 Samuel 16, all of David's brothers are present when David is anointed by God through Samuel.

So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. v13

Notice also how "the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David". 

Even Saul's servants recognized how the Spirit was with David as they recommended David to Saul to play Lyre for Saul.

He is a brave man and a warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man. And the Lord is with him.” v18

Yet in 1 Samuel 17, David's brothers (at least Eliab) act as if David is nothing special - see v28.  And Saul forgets who David is - my sense is that at least speaking for myself, if I found someone where it was apparent that "the Spirit of the Lord [was] powerfully [with them]", I would certainly not forget them and would want to remain in their presence.

We must recognize that God appears in forms that we may not recognize or value (in an earthly sense), and that it is important that we have relationships with such people in our own lives because God designed us to walk through life together (Proverbs 27:17).

He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:10-11
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are that have already provided Godly men in my life so that I could be sharpened! Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I worry, and I am harsh with my words.  Please forgive me!  Help me overcome such sin and turn from it towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.