Sunday, October 15, 2017

"You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.”

1 Samuel 13

"You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” v13-14

According to the John MacArthur Study Bible, Saul's sin was not that he made a sacrifice but that he made one without "priestly assistance" and that he sought to rule "with absolute power in civil and sacred matters".  Saul's arrogance proved costly here and I can learn from Saul's mistake as my arrogance is not only a sin and of itself, but it leads to other sin - this I know.  

Samuel tells Saul that God wants leaders "after His heart" - someone who seeks God's will over and above his/her own.

Lord Jesus please help me be humble and seek Your will alone.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and full of love and compassion for me - despite my arrogance, You came to rescue me and You plucked me from sin's grip - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  My worry, harshness, and arrogance continues.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.