Friday, July 13, 2018

Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.

Ezekiel 9

Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it. v4

God sends out one in linen with a writing kit to mark those in Jerusalem "who grieve and lament" over Israel and Judah.  Those marked will be saved from punishment.  In today's age of sin and suffering, John Piper refers to such people as "groaners" who accept that sin's pervasiveness exists and that Christians do play a role in lamenting over such sin.  Piper encourages us to lament and groan just as those who did in Ezekiel's time (with the implication that we of course also lament and repent for the sin in our own lives).  

Piper then goes on to provide additional steps we can take, including:

2. "Realize that only God’s shoulders can bear the boulders of global suffering."
3. "Give thanks for the diversity of the gifting in the body of Christ."
4. "Trust God for the grace to do the good he expects you — not others — to do, and then do the good in your path, like the Good Samaritan did."

 My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who marked me as being saved even though I am undeserving of the salvation that Christ provides.  I worry and I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.