Wednesday, July 4, 2018

How the precious children of Zion, once worth their weight in gold, are now considered as pots of clay, the work of a potter’s hands!...Your punishment will end, Daughter Zion; he will not prolong your exile.

Lamentations 4

How the precious children of Zion, once worth their weight in gold, are now considered as pots of clay, the work of a potter’s hands!...Your punishment will end, Daughter Zion; he will not prolong your exile. v2, 22

As Jeremiah continues to "lament" over the destruction of Jerusalem, we also see signs of hope, some of which point to our Savior Jesus Christ.

In verse 2, we see a reference to the Jews as pots of clay - fragile, of less esteem than pottery of more fine material (vs gold), disposable, yet created by and mold-able by God who so often uses difficulties as a way to shape and refine us into who He desires us to be.  See various commentaries on this here.  In the New Testament, Paul refers to persecuted Christians as "jars of clay" (2 Corinthians 4:7) "to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." 

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you. 2 Corinthians 4:7-12

We should desire to be "jars of clay" so that others see Jesus in us.  No one desires to be broken but Jesus' words to Paul that "[His] grace is sufficient" should give us strength.

In verse 22, Jeremiah indicates that this exile is not permanent - see also my post from yesterday.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves us and who died for us - thank You Jesus!  What an amazing God You are - the gratest gift of all time!  I am not worth such love.  I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of cancer.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.