Monday, January 14, 2019

Am I leading a rebellion, said Jesus, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me?

Mark 14

Am I leading a rebellion, said Jesus, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? v48

On the heels of my post yesterday, Jesus provides greater clarity about the methods believers are to employ for the battle we face.  This is not a battle to be fought on earthly terms.  Our most powerful weapon is love. 

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well....“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:38-40, 43-45 

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8 

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,but do not have love, I gain nothing.1 Corinthians 13:1-3

To love God and love others are the two most important commandments as "[a]ll the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:34-40).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who knows everything about me - including my sins and unfaithfulness - yet You love me and came to die for me, rescuing me from the grip of sin and death - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love...I worry and I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.