Sunday, January 13, 2019

Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!

Mark 14

 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer! v42

Jesus wants us to be ready for what we face.  As He goes to pray in the Garden of Gethsemane, that night of His arrest, He tells Peter, James, and John to "[s]tay here and keep watch” (v34).   He also tells them to also "pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (v38).  

Unfortunately, they fall asleep - three times (v37, 39, 41)!

John Piper writes that the reason for this story in the Bible is "so that we can watch all of that and be ready for the battle of Gethsemane. That is, be ready to move with Jesus into his saving work. To join him in making the greatest difference in the world".  Piper wants us to join Jesus in His work and mission - today's verse Jesus' battle call for us to fight for and with Jesus.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who came to earth knowing everything about me and my sin, and everything about what You would endure on the cross - and You willingly laid down Your life for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such an effort and sacrifice.  I worry and I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.