Thursday, January 10, 2019

Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over.

Mark 14

Then Judas Iscariot, one of the Twelve, went to the chief priests to betray Jesus to them. They were delighted to hear this and promised to give him money. So he watched for an opportunity to hand him over. v10-11

In this passage when a sinful woman (Mary) anoints Jesus with very expensive perfume, Judas objects, claiming the money "wasted" could be given to the poor.  Judas had already betrayed Jesus in his heart much earlier and now he was just being a poser - faking his faith and finding contentment not in Jesus but in money.  See also reference to same story in Matthew, Luke, and John.

Paul writes to his protege Timothy warning him how the love of money and the world corrupts us: 

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:6-10

John Piper and his team at DesiringGod.com also warn us.  Watch these: Video1, Video2, Video3. Read this - from this post is this gem by C.S. Lewis:

Meanwhile, where is God? This is one of the most disquieting symptoms. When you are happy, so happy that you have no sense of needing Him, so happy that you are tempted to feel His claims upon you as an interruption, if you remember yourself and turn to Him with gratitude and praise, you will be — or so it feels — welcomed with open arms. But go to Him when your need is desperate, when all other help is vain, and what do you find? A door slammed in your face, and a sound of bolting and double bolting on the inside. After that, silence. . . . Why is He so present a commander in our time of prosperity and so very absent a help in time of trouble?

If we focus on a wordly definition of contentment then we fail to cultivate good soil and our relationship with Jesus Christ will be obstructed and we cannot expect Him to bear fruit in our lives.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are that You have come to save me and provide life - and life to the full!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such blessings.  I worry.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.