Thursday, January 17, 2019

My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior....to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.

Luke 1

My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior....to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace. v46-55, 67-79

As I start this study of Luke - see overview here - I am struck by the worship songs of both Mary and Zechariah.  Worship should be an important of our relationship with Jesus.  There will be times when we struggle to see God's love for us - even though we know God has done great things for us - including dying on the cross!  Therefore, it is important that we daily take the time to draw on the great things God has done for us so that during those times of struggle we can "hang on" to the good that we have sown as a daily practice. 

John Piper provides a great definition of worship for us.  Piper makes a distinction of "inner" worship versus "acts" worship.  Inner worship reflects a heart condition where we "valu[e] or a treasur[e]...God above all things" (vs "vain" worship with just our lips).  Acts of worship include what we say or sing about God or what we do for others, serving them as the hands and feet of Jesus.


Piper encourages us: "[d]on’t neglect to do good. Share what you have. Such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Both of those are acts of worship".

Paul does so as well:

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and You are worthy of my praise both in words and deeds.  My cup overflows.  Thank You Jesus for the rich blessings You poured out for me and that You continue to pour out for me.  I am unworthy of such love.  I worry...among my many sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.