Thursday, July 9, 2020

After the death of Jehoiada, the officials of Judah came and paid homage to the king, and he listened to them. They abandoned the temple of the Lord, the God of their ancestors, and worshiped Asherah poles and idols. Because of their guilt, God’s anger came on Judah and Jerusalem. Although the Lord sent prophets to the people to bring them back to him, and though they testified against them, they would not listen.

2 Chronicles 24 and 2 Kings 10, 12-13  

After the death of Jehoiada, the officials of Judah came and paid homage to the king, and he listened  to them. They abandoned the temple of the Lord, the God of their ancestors, and worshiped Asherah poles and idols. Because of their guilt, God’s anger came on Judah and Jerusalem. Although the Lord sent prophets to the people to bring them back to him, and though they testified against them, they would not listen. 2 Chronicles 24:17-19
  
Day 164 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a return to my study of the divided kingdoms of Israel and Judah as we see the prophecies of Joel unfold.  Israel is attacked just as foretold by Joel.  King Jehu of Israel dies and his son Jehoahaz assumes the throne - Jehoahaz "did evil in the eyes of the Lord" (2 Kings 13) with only brief respite. Other kings in Israel that follow (Jehoash) also do evil in the eyes of the Lord. In Judah, Joash repairs the temple (2 Kings 12 and 2 Chronicles 24), but as hinted in my post from a couple of days ago, Joash allows paganism and God's anger burned - despite the warnings from Joel and other prophets. Jehoida the priest dies, and his son Zechariah takes his place, warning Judah to not forsake the Lord. Joash orders Zechariah to be stoned.  Soon after Syria invades Israel, Syria also invades Judah but Joash uses sacred objects of value to buy off Syria, and Syria withdraws from Judah.  Elisha dies and his final instructions to Israel are not fully carried out.  Although Syria withdraws, Joash is mortally wounded.

Once again we see God's anger burn in the Old Testament - see also my post here.

We MUST recognize that we are no different from Israel or Judah in our sin - we all sin, need a savior, and Jesus is that Savior.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is SO full of compassion and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My worry, anxiety and sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.