Monday, July 6, 2020

[Ahaziah] followed the ways of the house of Ahab and did evil in the eyes of the Lord, as the house of Ahab had done, for he was related by marriage to Ahab’s family.

2 Kings 8-10, 2 Chronicles 21-22 

[Ahaziah] followed the ways of the house of Ahab and did evil in the eyes of the Lord, as the house of Ahab had done, for he was related by marriage to Ahab’s family. 2 Kings 8:27
 
Day 161 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the violent deaths among the houses of both King Ahab (Joram, Jehu, and royal family) of Israel and King Ahaziah (including royal family members) of Judah.

The Bible is filled with stories of how evil and wicked people meet their end.  Believers are not immune to violence and tragedy (see John 16:33, the stories of Stephen, and other martyrs).  We must also understand that tragedy is part of life since The Fall when God promised difficulties for Adam and his descendants.

John Piper provides this very useful post to share his view on why God is "so harsh in the Old Testament but more forgiving in the New".  Piper writes:

"So I think there is an intention that the Old Testament look bleak, sin look horrible, God look just, and that there be much less mercy, proportionate to what you see in the three years of the ministry of Jesus. And that's intentional. This is what God's heart is to the world right now. Come!

And then the New Testament closes with another Old Testament. The Book of Revelation is horrific! So we're in a window right now.

So if people are watching this right now, they should feel, 'I'm in a window of mercy, and I should embrace it so that I can escape the wrath when it comes again'".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and You have never left me or forsaken me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me for my worry and other sins.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.