Saturday, July 18, 2020

I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities. I will restore your leaders as in days of old, your rulers as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City.

Isaiah 1-5

I will turn my hand against you; I will thoroughly purge away your dross and remove all your impurities. I will restore your leaders as in days of old, your rulers as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City. Isaiah 1:25-26
  
Day 173 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) starts my study of Isaiah, whom my commentary* refers to "the greatest evangelistic prophet ever known to God’s people begins an active ministry which will last some 40 years".  My commentary goes on the write: "Isaiah will do for Judah what Joel, Hosea, and Amos have done for Israel: he will tell the people about God’s judgment against religious formalism, idolatry, oppression, immorality, and pride, and also warn them of the captivity they are about to face. Throughout his prophecies Isaiah repeatedly refers to the final day of the Lord, when all people will face judgment like that being brought against Israel and Judah. The imagery is exciting and visionary. Isaiah also looks forward to the coming of the Messiah and Savior, who will redeem all mankind from their sins. For this reason, much of what Isaiah has to say will be as meaningful to future generations as it is to those who live in Judah at this time. Isaiah’s message begins with a condemnation of Judah’s many sins. He insists that Judah’s sins will bring severe punishment, from which neither Judah’s idols nor its leaders can save the people. He challenges the people to come to their senses before it is too late, and to look forward to the last days, when there will be a spiritual renewal and everlasting peace."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

This morning Isaiah delivers God's message to Judah regarding God's judgment of Judah's sin, and the focus is on empty worship and faith (Isaiah 1), and the sins of injustice (Isaiah 1 and Isaiah 5), idolatry (Isaiah 2), pride (Isaiah 2), sin of its leaders who led Judah into sin (Isaiah 3), sin of its women (Isaiah 3), greed (Isaiah 5), revelry (Isaiah 5), arrogance (Isaiah 5), rationalization (Isaiah 5), and drunkenness (Isaiah). My reading this morning includes reminders of God's grace - that He disciplines those He loves, we should view discipline as training to become more like Him, and that forgiveness and restoration await should we repent.

See also this great post about the danger of rationalizing sin as this is an important reminder of how we allow sin to creep into our lives slowly and it soon takes over.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is slow to anger, abounding in love, and full of grace and mercy for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin continues....daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.