Tuesday, July 14, 2020

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”

Hosea 10-14, 2 Kings 14-15 and 2 Chronicles 25-26 

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” Psalm 16:2
  
Day 169 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) wraps up my study of Hosea, as Hosea predicts both Israel's captivity and her ultimate deliverance from bondage to Assyria as Israel will repent and God will forgive her. Meanwhile, my commentary* indicates that Judah, "though affected less than Israel, has problems of its own".  Judah's king Amaziah is assassinated (2 Kings 14, 2 Chronicles 25) and Uzziah is made king.  Like Amaziah, although Uzziah "did what was right in the eyes of the Lord" (2 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 26), "[t]he high places, however, were not removed; the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

A few highlights from Hosea's closing words from God to Israel:

Because you have depended on your own strength and on your many warriors, the roar of battle will rise against your people, so that all your fortresses will be devastated[.] Hosea 10:13-14

Ephraim [Israel] boasts, “I am very rich; I have become wealthy. With all my wealth they will not find in me any iniquity or sin.” Hosea 12:8

"When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me". Hosea 13:6

“I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them". Hosea 14:4

Today, I am reminded that we must remain close to God and call upon Him not just in bad times when we feel our needs are more desperate, but that we need God ALL of the time - good and bad times.  God is our Creator and Sustainer, and without Him we have no good things.  

My Prayer: Jesus, You are my All in All, My Everything, everything that I am and everything that I have is from You.  I am blessed that You adopted me into Your family.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and my sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.