Wednesday, July 1, 2020

For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.

For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you. 2 Chronicles 20:12
Day 156 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the divided kingdoms of Judah (Jehoshaphat) and Israel (Ahab and successors). Jehoshaphat's efforts to turn away from sin and towards God, as well as his efforts to do the same throughout his kingdom, figure prominently in my study today.

Ahab is killed in battle (1 Kings 22:29–36; 2 Chronicles 18:28–34), and God rebukes Jehoshaphat for his alliance with a wicked king.  Jehoshaphat reforms Judah's justice system* by appointing Godly judges (2 Chronicles 19:4–11) and by "appoint[ing] some of the Levites, priests and heads of Israelite families to administer the law of the LORD and to settle disputes".   My focus today is on how Jehoshaphat turns toward God as the Moabites invade Judah (2 Chronicles 20) - his prayer is particularly illuminating with respect to his heart condition.  At the end of the prayer he says:


For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you. 2 Chronicles 20:12

Following this last line of the prayer:


All the men of Judah, with their wives and children and little ones, stood there before the Lord. 2 Chronicles 20:13

God responds: 

Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s...You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you. 2 Chronicles 20:15, 17

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.     

Ultimately, of course Judah, defeats the Moabites.

The fear of God came on all the surrounding kingdoms when they heard how the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel. And the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side. 2 Chronicles 20:29-30

True faith in God produces blessings (fruits of the Spirit) and is contagious!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me beyond what I deserve - thank You Jesus for the many blessings You pour out on me.  I am not deserving.  My sin continues - I am easily distracted by the world.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.