Friday, July 17, 2020

Amos answered Amaziah, “I was neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, but I was a shepherd, and I also took care of sycamore-fig trees. But the Lord took me from tending the flock and said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to my people Israel.’ Now then, hear the word of the Lord.

Amos 7, 2 Kings 14-15, and 2 Chronicles 26 

Amos answered Amaziah, “I was neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet, but I was a shepherd, and I also took care of sycamore-fig trees. But the Lord took me from tending the flock and said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to my people Israel.’ Now then, hear the word of the Lord. Amos 7:14-16
  
Day 172 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) wraps my study of Amos as we see Amos confronted by Amaziah priest of Israel, yet Amos stands his ground delivering God's message of impending punishment for Israel due to her sin and unfaithfulness to God. My commentary* points to wickedness not just of Jeroboam II (2 Kings 14-15) but also of the kings that followed, including Zechariah and Shallum - both of whom are assassinated. My commentary* also points (2 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 26) to Judah, where we see Uzziah fall prey to pride: "King Uzziah, also known as Azariah, has reigned over Judah with great success. But his good fortune is about to go to his head, and he will suffer serious illness [leprosy] for his presumptuousness. Uzziah’s illness will necessitate a co-regent to run the day-to-day affairs of state. In filling that role, Uzziah’s son Jotham is a good leader. But he is not the religious man needed by this materialistic, immoral, unjust, and complacent people".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Amos is a great example of standing firm in delivering God's words in the face of opposition.

Peter and John did the same before the Sanhedrin:

Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:18-20

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who protects and gives me strength in the face of worldly opposition - thank You Jesus!  Yet I know I am undeserving of Your love and protection because I often feel weak and don't stand firm.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.