Wednesday, July 15, 2020

“Therefore this is what I will do to you, Israel, and because I will do this to you, Israel, prepare to meet your God.” He who forms the mountains, who creates the wind, and who reveals his thoughts to mankind, who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth—the Lord God Almighty is his name.

Amos 1-4 

“Therefore this is what I will do to you, Israel, and because I will do this to you, Israel, prepare to meet your God.” He who forms the mountains, who creates the wind, and who reveals his thoughts to mankind, who turns dawn to darkness, and treads on the heights of the earth—the Lord God Almighty is his name. Amos 4:12-13
  
Day 170 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) transitions to a study of Amos, who - according to my commentary* -is a "lowly shepherd" called by God "to prophesy against several nations, but principally against Israel".  Amos "does not attack idolatry as such (as does his contemporary, Hosea). He concentrates instead on rebuking both Israel and Judah for the meaninglessness of their worship, whatever its form. He calls for consistency in one’s religious exercises and daily ethical conduct, and cries out against a people who honor deity with their many sacrifices yet refuse justice and mercy to the oppressed and needy".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

In chapters 1-2 Amos calls out the sins of Syria, Philistia, Phoencia, Edom, Ammon, Moab, as well as both Judah and Israel.  However, Amos delivers from the Lord a pointed message of judgement specifically against Israel:

"[Israel] sell[s] the innocent for silver, and the needy for a pair of sandals. They trample on the heads of the poor as on the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed. Father and son use the same girl and so profane my holy name. They lie down beside every altar on garments taken in pledge. In the house of their god they drink wine taken as fines. Amos 2:6-8

Amos continues into chapter 3 and 4 with God's plans for Israel's punishment and ends with a call to prepare.

Believers must not just talk the talk but we must walk the walk - hypocrisy severely undermines the church.  This article references some of the challenges confronting the church in the face of the current pandemic and in the context of an existing trend among young people to see Christians as "unchristian".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has helped me grow in my faith and with my spiritual disciplines.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I know there is more work to do and I have hypocrisy in my life.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient, and apply Your message for me today and every day.