Friday, July 3, 2020

Nevertheless, because of the covenant the Lord had made with David, the Lord was not willing to destroy the house of David. He had promised to maintain a lamp for him and his descendants forever.

1 Kings 22, 2 Kings 3, 8 and Chronicles 20-21 

Nevertheless, because of the covenant the Lord had made with David, the Lord was not willing to destroy the house of David. He had promised to maintain a lamp for him and his descendants forever. 2 Chronicles 21:7

Day 158 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the divided kingdoms of Israel (under Joram) and Judah (under Jehoram and his successor Ahaziah). 

My commentary* describes today's reading as one where "God works so hard to get his people’s attention" - see also my post on this topic from a few days ago. Miracles (including a letter from Elijah who has previously gone up to Heaven in a whirlwind) are used by God to do so, but Jehoram fails to see how God works to get our attention.  Foreign armies attack Judah - it is only through God's faithfulness that Judah is not destroyed.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has showered me with attention, blessings, love, patience, compassion, mercy, etc.  Thank You Jesus. I am not deserving of such love.  I am too easily distracted by the world and often allow this to impact my faith.  I know this is sinful.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my faith towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.