Thursday, July 2, 2020

As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you.

  2 Kings 2, 4, 6, 8 

As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you. 2 Kings 2:2, 4, 6

Day 157 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of Elisha the prophet as Elijah goes up into Heaven. 

A couple of things strike me today:

(a) we need others who will encourage and call us to be who God intends us to be - Elijah took Elisha under his wing and Elisha became Elijah's protege.  The two became inseparable - in 2 Kings 2 Elisha refuses to leave Elijah's side and on three occasions remarks "As surely as the Lord lives and as you live, I will not leave you". Elijah is being called to Jericho and other places prior to calling him home to Heaven, but Elisha will not leave Elijah's side. This relationship leaves a mark and prior to Elijah being called home to Heaven, Elisha asks Elijah to "inherit a double portion of [Elijah's] spirit". Elijah responds to Elisha that this can happen based on certain conditions that ultimately do come to pass.  Elisha goes on to perform miracles described in my commentary* that are "similar in nature... [not just to Elijah but also to] those performed by the Messiah to come".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 


(b) a review of Elijah's life based on this post from DesiringGod.com indicates that Elijah had an "effective prayer life" and God used him during a period of great spiritual crisis among the Jewish people to rise him up from obscurity to confront apostasy.  The post refers to Elijah as a mega-prophet but encourages us to have confidence that we can live with faith as Elijah does - he is just as ordinary as we are.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has placed men in my life that have called me up and encouraged me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.