Tuesday, July 28, 2020

I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless.

Isaiah 13-14 and 21  

I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless. Isaiah 13:11

Day 183 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my study of the prophecies of Isaiah.  God continues to use Isaiah to judge all nations - see also my post from two days ago and from yesterday. Today, God uses Isaiah to deliver judgment to both Babylon (Judah's ultimate captor) and the Philistines.  My commentary* indicates that although "Hezekiah will do what he can to revive Judah...Isaiah already knows the ultimate outcome and continues to prophesy against the nations who either have brought, or will bring, suffering to God’s people".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Although Isaiah's message was directed primarily to Babylon and the Philistines, all of scripture (both OT and NT) applies to all believers through all times:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

One of the passages in today's Isaiah reading includes warnings about arrogance and pride. I am often guilty of these sins in particular.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has humbled me while also doing so in a way its full of grace, compassion, and love.  I am grateful that You love me so much.  I am not deserving of such love.  I am often harsh with others, use harsh and sinful words, gossip, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.