Sunday, July 19, 2020

Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord.

Isaiah 1-6, 2 Kings 15, and 2 Chronicles 26-27 

Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord. Isaiah 2:5
  
Day 174 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my study of Isaiah, as Isaiah describes God's anger and impending harsh punishment for Judah, who has "rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel" (Isaiah 5:24). Isaiah's warning is clear that it is directed towards those who "forsake the Lord" (Isaiah 1:18-20, 28 and 4:2-6).  He implores (Isaiah 2) Judah to stop clinging to idols and to stop trusting in "mere humans" that cannot save as only God can.  There are ample references to the end times and the conflict and destruction that will occur (Isaiah 1-3).  Of course during the end times God for the final time overcomes sin and death: "[t]hough [our] sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool (Isaiah 1:18-20)". Isaiah describes spiritual restoration for those who believe - salvation.


My commentary* goes back to Israel for a brief focus (2 Kings 15) on the "political upheaval" there as the throne of Menahem comes to an end and succeeding kings continue to do "evil in the eyes of the Lord". 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.


My study* this morning concludes with a return to Judah (2 Kings 15 and 2 Chronicles 26-27) as Uzziah dies of leprosy and his son Jotham assumes the throne. Jotham "did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father Uzziah had done, but unlike him he did not enter the temple of the LORD. The people, however, continued their corrupt practices". Isaiah also has a vivid vision of the Lord from the end times (Isaiah 6:1-13).  An interesting aspect of my study's conclusion is how my commentary* notes how Jotham rebuilt and repaired the temple but earlier it is stated that Jotham "did not enter the temple of the Lord".  The final words of my study* this morning are how "Jotham grew powerful because he walked steadfastly before the LORD his God".

While Jotham did walk steadfastly before the Lord, he also allowed sin to creep into his own life and into the lives his citizens.  I am reminded how we must use fear of the Lord as a preservative against sin and drive us into His arms.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me beyond question and doubt - You came to save me from sin and death and You will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God and such love.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your messages for me today and every day.