Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Joash did what was right in the eyes of the Lord all the years Jehoiada the priest instructed him. The high places, however, were not removed; the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there.

2 Kings 10-12, 2 Chronicles 22-24

 Joash did what was right in the eyes of the Lord all the years Jehoiada the priest instructed him. The high places, however, were not removed; the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there. 2 Kings 12:2-3, 2 Chronicles 24:2
 
Day 162 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the divided kingdoms of Judah (tribe of Judah and Benjamin) and Israel (Asher, Dan, Ephraim, Gad, Issachar, Manasseh, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulun).  This morning, I focused on the rise of Joash, Judah's first child-king. Following the violent deaths of both the princes of Ahaziah and Ahab (see post yesterday), Ahab's wicked daughter and Ahaziah's mother Athaliah ascends to the throne in Judah, unaware that Jehosheba (Jehoram's daughter) hid Joash, a young son of Ahaziah, saving Joash from the coup and fate that befell others in his family.

In Israel, Jehu destroys Baal worship and God promises to keep Jehu's "descendants...on the throne of Israel until the fourth generation" (2 Kings 10).  However, Jehu ultimately succumbs to sin.

In Judah, Jehoiada - priest and husband of Jehosheba - orchestrates the rise of Joash as king, and Athaliah is deposed and executed.   Jehoiada then leads Judah and Joash in renewing their covenant with God (2 Kings 11-12) (2 Chronicles 23-24).

While Joash does what is right in the eyes of the Lord, traces of paganism remain - this of course is the danger we all face when we allow sin to creep into our lives, including through relationships and other influences we have in our lives.  Both Judah and Israel pay dearly for how they allow sin to creep into their lives.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has helped protect myself from many sins - thank You Jesus!  I know I continue to have sin in my life but You have helped preserve and protect me!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  I worry and I have other sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.