Saturday, July 11, 2020

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?”

Jonah 1-4 and 2 Kings 13-14

But the Lord said, “You have been concerned about this plant, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight. And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left—and also many animals?” Jonah 4:10-11
  
Day 166 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study primarily of Jonah, although there is brief mention of how Israel is spared destruction but ultimately responds not by turning back to God but by continuing their worship of foreign gods. Broadly speaking, this morning's takeaway* is "an amazing demonstration of God’s universal grace and divine concern at a time when a rather exclusivistic Israel is in great need of a reminder that, despite being God’s chosen people, their failure to repent actually lowers them to a level of spirituality beneath even penitent pagans." 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Most of us know the story of Jonah quite well, yet this morning I see an angle I've not previously understood.  Both my commentary* and this post from John Piper (from 1981 no less) point out how Jonah is sent by God to deliver a message not to Israel or Judah (who by the way needed to repent big time!), but to Nineveh, "a foreign, Gentile city" according to Piper (see map here).  Jonah does not want to go to Nineveh because he does not see Nineveh (relative to Israel or Judah) as deserving of rescue. Piper goes on to use the story of Jonah to exhort us to not "despise" but embrace the "free mercy" of God by playing a role in denying the Good News of Jesus Christ to others.  God wants us to deliver this message to EVERYONE and EVERYWHERE!

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  Matthew 28:19

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has rescued me - I am grateful Lord Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your mercy and compassion.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.