Friday, July 24, 2020

If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all....[D]o not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread.... I will wait for the Lord, who is hiding his face from the descendants of Jacob. I will put my trust in him.

Isaiah 7-9

If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all....[D]o not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread.... I will wait for the Lord, who is hiding his face from the descendants of Jacob. I will put my trust in him. Isaiah 7:9, 8:12-13, 8:17

Day 179 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I return to the prophecies of Isaiah. This morning's reading begins with an alliance between Syria and Israel against Judah but my commentary* describes God as "ready to defend Judah despite her wickedness...." My commentary* also describes that while Isaiah is clearly delivering a message of an "impending" invasion by Assyria and of the captivity of both Syria and Israel, "[l]aced throughout that narrative, however, are messianic prophecies".   

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Key highlights from this mornings readings:

Say to [Ahaz, king of Judah], ‘Be careful, keep calm and don’t be afraid. Do not lose heart because of these two smoldering stubs of firewood—because of the fierce anger of Rezin and Aram and of the son of Remaliah. Aram, Ephraim and Remaliah’s son have plotted your ruin, saying, “Let us invade Judah; let us tear it apart and divide it among ourselves, and make the son of Tabeel king over it.” Yet this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “‘It will not take place, it will not happen, for the head of Aram is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is only Rezin. Within sixty-five years Ephraim will be too shattered to be a people. The head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is only Remaliah’s son. If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.’” Isaiah 7:4-9

Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also? Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right,  Isaiah 7:13-15

[D]o not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread. Isaiah 8:12-13

I will wait for the Lord, who is hiding his face from the descendants of Jacob. I will put my trust in him. Isaiah 8:17 

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this. Isaiah 9:6-7

God's words regarding how we are to trust in the Lord most of all strike a chord this morning - echoing posts from the past two days.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has given me the gift of salvation - thank You Jesus!  I can trust in You more than anything or anyone.  I am not deserving of Your love and salvation.  I worry and have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.