Saturday, September 5, 2020

But you must not mention ‘a message from the Lord’ again, because each one’s word becomes their own message. So you distort the words of the living God, the Lord Almighty, our God.

 Jeremiah 23

But you must not mention ‘a message from the Lord’ again, because each one’s word becomes their own message. So you distort the words of the living God, the Lord Almighty, our God. Jeremiah 23:36

Day 222 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* focuses once again (see post yesterday) on the danger of false prophets and Jeremiah's (God's) response. 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.  

This morning's reading reminds me of the third commandment:

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.” Exodus 20:7

As I posted yesterday - we must discern truth. This morning I take a cue from John Piper who encourages us to appreciate the "weight and wonder of the third commandment":

"So, don’t treat me — my name — as empty, futile, pointless, trivial, inconsequential, insignificant. Don’t let your words be empty of my truth. Don’t let your hearts be empty of your affections. Revere me. Love me. Trust me. Treasure me. Satisfy your heart with me."

There is much I can say about how great God is and why I strive to revere Him.  One verse that sums it up this morning is how God is faithful in terms of a relationship that we seek.

Come near to God and he will come near to you. James 4:8

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God is worthy of my worship, reverence, trust, affections, etc.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.