Tuesday, September 8, 2020

“‘Then they will know that I am the Lord.’”

Ezekiel 1-7

“‘Then they will know that I am the Lord.’” Ezekiel 7:27 

Day 225 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the prophet Ezekiel who was in exile in Babylonia (as was Daniel) when God calls him to deliver a series of messages for Judah.  The MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) indicates that "'[t]he glory of the Lord' is central to Ezekiel".  F. LaGard Smith* indicates that "[i]f there is a special theme to Ezekiel's prophetic messages, it is that, by both its severe punishment and subsequent restoration, Judah will come to know its God as the true God of the universe, who rules over the affairs of individuals and nations."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Indeed, chapters 1-7 are filled with messages of harsh judgement for Judah as Ezekiel prophecies destruction.  God is a jealous God (see John Piper's post The Lord Whose Name Is Jealous) and Judah went astray.  While we know that a remnant of Judah is restored and from that remnant Jesus emerges (see Matthew 1 for details on the lineage), God wants Judah's attention, He wants Judah to know the identity of the One True God - Yahweh.  This message is as true today as it ever was.  People today put their hope in money, possessions, relationships, government, careers, etc. and these all provide empty promises in comparison to the joy of Jesus Christ and the salvation only He can provide.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has filled my life with many, many blessings - too many to describe.  You ARE the One True God and I am grateful that You have adopted me into Your family.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.