Tuesday, September 15, 2020

I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.

Jeremiah 21-22, 34, 32-33

I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me. Jeremiah 33:8

Day 232 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my study returns to Jeremiah where we review prophecies of Jerusalem's siege. About 10 days ago, I posted on how Zedekiah was installed as puppet king when Jehoiakim's son Jehoiachin is taken captive to Babylonia. My commentary* indicates that with "Nebuchadnezzar’s army just outside the walls, Zedekiah realizes that it is time to consult God. But the answer from Jeremiah is to surrender or be destroyed....Zedekiah chooses not to surrender, and the siege continues."  Zedekiah is told that he will be taken captive himself (Jeremiah 34). Yet, Zedekiah's heart was hardened and as an example of Zedekiah's hardened heart (similar to that of Pharaoh when Moses delivered messages from God - starting in Exodus 5), Jeremiah is arrested (Jeremiah 32) and my commentary describes how during this time God tells Jeremiah to deliver a message of all of Israel is to be restored (Jeremiah 32-33).

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

There are number of takeaways from this morning's reading:

Although Judah failed to heed these words at the time, we are to "[d]o what is just and right".

Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of the oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place. For if you are careful to carry out these commands, then kings who sit on David’s throne will come through the gates of this palace, riding in chariots and on horses, accompanied by their officials and their people. Jeremiah 22:3-4

God is all powerful, all knowing, and sees all or our sin (and we all sin):

“Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. You show love to thousands but bring the punishment for the parents’ sins into the laps of their children after them. Great and mighty God, whose name is the Lord Almighty, great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to the ways of all mankind; you reward each person according to their conduct and as their deeds deserve. You performed signs and wonders in Egypt and have continued them to this day, in Israel and among all mankind, and have gained the renown that is still yours. You brought your people Israel out of Egypt with signs and wonders, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror. You gave them this land you had sworn to give their ancestors, a land flowing with milk and honey. They came in and took possession of it, but they did not obey you or follow your law; they did not do what you commanded them to do. So you brought all this disaster on them. Jeremiah 32:17-23

God offers restoration for those who repent and turn to Him:

‘Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. I will bring Judah and Israel back from captivity and will rebuild them as they were before. I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me. Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.’ Jeremiah 33:6-9

I am reminded of the Parable of the Lost/Prodigal Son.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who adopted me in Your family - knowing everything about me, including my sin.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I am often full of anger rage, and harsh talk and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.