Thursday, September 24, 2020

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry.

2 Kings 25, Jeremiah 40-44, and 51

For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. 1 Samuel 15:23

Day 241 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I return to Jeremiah and the end of his ministry as he warns a remnant of Judah planning to flee to Egypt not to do so.  My commentary* indicates: "[a] contingent of army officers who had not been captured will apparently fall under the influence of the Ammonites, who will persuade them to assassinate Gedaliah. Their character is further revealed when they murder 70 innocent men, apparently without reason, and take captive their own countrymen at Mizpah. Just when it appears that other former officers are about to right all the wrongs, they too exhibit wicked character. After lying to Jeremiah, they lead away to Egypt a whole remnant of Hebrews, including Jeremiah and Baruch. Egypt is seemingly chosen for two reasons: first of all, there is fear that Nebuchadnezzar will punish the former officers for killing his appointed governor, and they therefore believe that they can find safety under Pharaoh Hophra’s protection. Second, they—and particularly their wives—seem drawn to Egypt’s idolatry and worship of the pagan Queen of Heaven."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

What is remarkable here is how Jeremiah is proven right time and time again with his prophecies yet those in Judah flagrantly disregard God's message as delivered from Jeremiah.  Jeremiah is even called a liar (Jeremiah 43:1-3) by his own people.  The disobedience of the Judean remnant in Egypt is clearly documented in Jeremiah 44:15-19 and Jeremiah's response from God stands in dark contrast to Jeremiah 29.

From God to those in exile in Babylonia:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-12

From God to the remnant who fled to Egypt:

For I am watching over them for harm, not for good; the Jews in Egypt will perish by sword and famine until they are all destroyed. Jeremiah 44:27

At the root of such disobedience lies arrogance.  You seek other Gods when you believe you don't need the One True God. We all sin and need a Savior.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has humbled me and rescued me - helping me understand the great sin of arrogance.  I know there is work to do but I am grateful for how You have worked in my heart.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for such love.  I sin as my arrogance continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and ehlp me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.