Sunday, September 13, 2020

“So I will put an end to lewdness in the land, that all women may take warning and not imitate you. You will suffer the penalty for your lewdness and bear the consequences of your sins of idolatry. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord.”

Ezekiel 23, 2 Kings 24-25, 2 Chronicles 36, Jeremiah 39 and 52 

“So I will put an end to lewdness in the land, that all women may take warning and not imitate you. You will suffer the penalty for your lewdness and bear the consequences of your sins of idolatry. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord.” Ezekiel 23:48-49

Day 230 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Ezekiel. My commentary* this morning describes what has long been prophesied by Ezekiel and many other prophets regarding the sin of both Judah and Israel.  God gives Ezekiel a message to deliver to both Judah and Israel that my commentary* describes as "probably no more graphic an indictment...in all of Scripture.  Modern readers are almost offended by the candid exposure of two promiscuous sisters, representing Israel and Judah. One gets at least some idea of the degree to which God himself is offended by his people’s infidelity."  My commentary* goes on to describe how "God feels deeply the shame and disgrace that his “bride” has brought him. Her disrespect for his spiritual leadership, her chasing after material satisfaction, and her many adulteries with lesser gods have left him no choice. Israel must be put away until she repents. The time has come. Even now it [siege of Jerusalem] begins."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Yes...God is slow to anger and abounding in love, but God's patience is not unlimited (see also RC Sproul on this).  That is why believers are commanded to snatch others from the fire as this "the fire" will be the destination for those who do not accept Jesus - either when they die or when Jesus returns (whichever comes first). 

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. Jude 1:22-23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and You have snatched me from the fire - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom, energy and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.