Monday, September 14, 2020

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

 Ezekiel 24

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.  Romans 12:1

Day 231 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Ezekiel. While Babylonia lays siege to Jerusalem, God shares the news with Ezekiel who is in Tel Aviv at the time (Ezekiel 24:2). Striking this morning is the great sacrifice Ezekiel makes as God takes Ezekiel's wife (she dies) and the same language is used in reference to her as God uses for the city of Jerusalem ("delight of your eyes" - Ezekiel 24:15, 20, 25).

While Judah suffers her just punishment, we can only describe Ezekiel's wife's death as a "sacrifice" - I can view this as nothing else.  My commentary indicates: "Certainly it can be said that Ezekiel is being asked to give up no more than what God himself will give up one day in order to bring a sign to all the world. Perhaps that itself is the very answer: as Creator of the universe God can and does act in ways that confound man. Death undoubtedly has a totally different significance to God than it does to man. But the immediate mystery is how Ezekiel can seemingly take his wife’s death in stride and continue his ministry. What testimony to any man’s faith this would be!"

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

The reality is that all of our existence is from God and we don't deserve anything other than death - for  "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:32) and "the wages of sin are death" (Romans 6:23). 

We must also remember that God wants us to live sacrificially, giving of ourselves first to God and then to others - demonstrating God's love through our lives. Sometimes, the cost is high but God's grace is sufficient.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who grace is MORE than sufficient as You have helped me through many difficult times and I am sure there are difficult times to come - but You will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin continues - I often fail to love You and others as You command of me.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.