Thursday, September 17, 2020

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.... I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”

Jeremiah 23:1-8, 33:14-26, 31:27-40

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel  and with the people of Judah.... I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” Jeremiah 31:31,33-34.

Day 234 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah where my commentary* indicates "Jeremiah appears to reach beyond the end of the 70-year exile to a kingdom of a different nature and to the Messiah who will save his people from their sins." My commentary* also describes how "[a]ll of this will cause great confusion to future generations of Hebrews who read the restoration promises of Jeremiah, Isaiah, and the other prophets, yet continue to see a hostile world about them. Many of them will keep vigil for the coming of a political Israel which will truly have lasting peace and prosperity. Many will look for a mighty king to bring them deliverance from future oppressors. Many will look for a country whose geographical boundaries are clearly delineated and secure. Yet Jeremiah suggests that their attitude toward the coming kingdom is misguided."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Highlights from this morning's reading:

The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The Lord Our Righteous Savior. Jeremiah 23:5-6

The above verses are largely repeated in Jeremiah 33 where God seeks to make it known with certainty that a king will rise from David's line, fulfilling a promise made to David (Davidic Covenant). 

God also promises a new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31, 33-34).

Jesus is not only the Messiah prophesied and promised in the Old Testament (based on the Davidic Covenant), but also the Lord and Savior we all need.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who forgives my sin, freeing me from the sting of sin and death.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I continue to be harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to and apply Your message for me today and every day.