Wednesday, September 16, 2020

“Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good; his love endures forever.”

Jeremiah 33:10-13, 30-31

“Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good; his love endures forever.” Jeremiah 33:11

Day 233 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with my study of Jeremiah where God delivers to Jeremiah through a dream a message of hope to Judah in the aftermath of Jerusalem's siege and captivity of its inhabitants. My commentary* indicates "[s]o that all will know that the eventual release of the people of Israel is due not to mere chance or changing political winds, God directs Jeremiah to record God’s promises regarding the restoration. Using the prophetic poetry he often employs, Jeremiah makes it clear that it will be the God of Israel who purposely restores his people—nothing else."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

While God makes it clear that it was Judah's sin that brought about its exile (Jeremiah 30:12-15), the message is overwhelming hopeful and it includes many verses of encouragement all believers can lean on during times of trial (including references to the coming Messiah - see for example (Jeremiah 30:21):

Referring to the exile, God says:

It will be a time of trouble for Jacob, but he will be saved out of it. “‘In that day,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘I will break the yoke off their necks and will tear off their bonds; no longer will foreigners enslave them. Instead, they will serve the Lord their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them. “‘So do not be afraid, Jacob my servant; do not be dismayed, Israel,’ declares the Lord. ‘I will surely save you out of a distant place, your descendants from the land of their exile. Jacob will again have peace and security, and no one will make him afraid. I am with you and will save you,’ declares the Lord. ‘Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you, I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you but only in due measure; I will not let you go entirely unpunished.’ Jeremiah 30:7-11

Referring to the restoration, God says:

I will lead them beside streams of water on a level path where they will not stumble, because I am Israel’s father, and Ephraim is my firstborn son. Jeremiah 31:9

[Israel] will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more. Jeremiah 31:12

I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. I will satisfy the priests with abundance, and my people will be filled with my bounty,” declares the Lord. Jeremiah 31:13-14

Be encouraged!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus You are my hope and great encouragement - I am grateful beyond what my words can describe.  I know You love me and You are full of mercy and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such love, mercy, and compassion.  My sin - particularly harsh words and actions continue.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.